DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
ABOUT MAGIC THEATRE
Magic Theatre is dedicated to the cultivation of bold new plays, playwrights and audiences, and to producing entertaining and ideologically robust stories that ask substantive questions about our place in humanity while reflecting the rich diversity of the world in which we live. We believe that developing an evolved artistic vocabulary with the playwright at our side, over a period of time, greatly increases a playwright’s chance of thriving. For the last 47 years, Magic has provided a nurturing, yet rigorous artistic home for such writers as Sam Shepard, Paula Vogel and Luis Alfaro, among others.
A passionately committed staff and a dedicated Board support Magic’s mission and values. As part of a capacity-building initiative funded by the Rainin Foundation, the organization is currently working with a contracted development strategist on a comprehensive fundraising plan that will take the organization up to the 50th anniversary, and to oversee the transition to new development leadership.
The incoming Director of Development will play a vital role in leading a preeminent, nationally recognized theatre to its 50th anniversary and into its second half century. The Director of Development will work closely with the Producing Artistic Director and other senior staff to identify and implement strategies that will increase philanthropic support of Magic Theatre. This position will lead the comprehensive campaign leading up to and including the 50th anniversary, while overseeing the day-to-day fundraising operations. The Director of Development reports to the Producing Artistic Director until the appointment of a Managing Director.
- Reorganize and staff Development Committee of the Board, including the identification of non-Board committee members
- Supervise development staff and oversee all development activities including annual fund, institutional giving, special events and 50th anniversary campaign giving
- In partnership with Producing Artistic Director and Managing Director, lead the development of annual contributed income plans that support the work of the organization and reflect appropriate yearly growth
- Work with Board of Trustees and Development Committee to identify and track major donor prospects and develop cultivation and solicitation strategies for them
- Direct annual fund and all other individual fundraising appeals, including renewals, alumni appeals and acquisition appeals
- Develop donor benefits at all levels and coordinate and oversee fulfillment
- Oversee database management, including reporting and tracking, donor acknowledgements, and pledge reminders
- Serve as primary staff liaison to Development Committee, Gala Committee and Alumni Council
- Create a base of financial support for the Next Generation initiative, including professional apprenticeships, the Laney College partnership and underserved San Francisco high schools
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Minimum three years non-profit development experience, including annual giving campaigns, with a proven record of success
- Commitment to Magic Theatre’s mission
- Some familiarity with the San Francisco/Bay Area arts philanthropic community
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, and demonstrate flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities
- Proven ability to priorities tasks and manage projects and deadlines effectively, with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Experienced at developing and maintaining relationships with board members and donors, as well as with colleagues and external partners at all levels
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Proficient in database management, Microsoft applications, and social media
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
TO APPLY: Send a cover letter, resume and references in a single pdf file to email@example.com This is a full time position with benefits. Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.